Voting is now open for the Fiction category of the Rose and Bay Awards. These awards honor excellence in cyberfunded creativity (aka crowdfunding), and this category recognizes superlative writing in the field of fiction, which includes both short form and novel length or serial stories. Everyone is encouraged to vote. Please read the complete details below, and then make your vote in the following poll. For more information about this award, visit the 2011 landing page.
What Is the Rose and Bay Award?
The Rose and Bay Award focuses on a growing business model known as "crowdfunding" or "cyberfunded creativity," which directly connects creative people and patrons of the arts online. This award recognizes exemplary projects and enthusiastic patrons. It currently features six categories: Art, Fiction, Poetry, Webcomic, Other Project, and Patron. (Other Project includes any cyberfunded creativity that isn't art, fiction, poetry, or webcomic -- or that spans more than one category -- such as movies, music, etc.) The categories and their handlers are listed below:
Art: itew Click here for the Nomination Post
Fiction: eseme Click here for the Nomination Postt
Poetry: xjenavivex Click here for the Nomination Post
Webcomic: ysabetwordsmith Click here for the Nomination Post
Other Project: xjenavivex Click here for the Nomination Post
Patron: xjenavivex Click here for the Nomination Post
The award period for eligible activities spans January 1-December 31, 2010.
The nomination period spans January 1-January 31, 2011.
The voting period spans February 1-February 28, 2011 (with timing for the run-off to be determined once the award founder regains internet access).
1) Voters are encouraged (but not required) to browse the nominees before making a final decision; that's what the links are for, and the purpose of this award is to promote the splendor of crowdfunded projects. If you have not already explored the nominees, please refer back to the Fiction nomination post.
2) Voting will take place via LiveJournal polling in this community, open to all. Everyone is eligible to vote; if you do not have a LiveJournal account, you may leave a comment below with your full name and your vote. You may cast ONE vote per category. (There may need to be more than one poll question per category, and runoffs, in categories with a high number of nominees.) You may not vote for your own project, nor yourself as a patron; that's tacky. Votes FOR THIS CATEGORY ONLY may be placed by email to esemer AT g mail PERIOD com. No, it's not particularly anonymous either, but it is the best I can do at this point.
3) Winners will be announced after the polling is completed.
How You Can Help
As a new award, Rose and Bay depends on your enthusiasm to make it a success. Here are some ways you can help that happen:
1) Cast your vote! Watch for the voting polls to appear for the other projects, and vote in those too.
2) Promote the Rose and Bay Award by blogging about it, emailing your friends, posting it on social networks, or any other method you can imagine. Everyone is encouraged to spread the word as far as possible whether you are a creator, a donor, or a curious bystander. Here is some art for the Rose and Bay Award.
3) If you're a patron or audience member, link to your favorite nominees and then direct people to the relevant voting pages.
4) If you're a creative person, let your audience know which of your projects have been nominated for a Rose and Bay Award, including a link to the relevant voting page(s). Let your fans know there is a way for them to honor your project and the patrons who make it possible.
Here is the poll. Nominees are listed in the order they were nominated (with the exception of moving both nominations by one author into the same category). This order was chosen in order to avoid any personal preferences Eseme may have from influencing voting. The top FOURTEEN nominees will be put into a final poll of fourteen projects which will determine the award winner. The timing of this final poll will be determined when I can reach the award founder, who is currently offline due to a very large snow and ice storm.
Please vote for one:
Please vote for one
View the current poll totals here. Add to those totals one vote for Lovers and Beloveds, one vote for Tales of MU, one vote for Eclipse Court, and one vote for Philosopher in Arms (these votes came in by email and LJ comment, and will be updated weekly).
This post has been edited once, because it still said "Webcomic Category" in the title. Sorry!
This is the second poll to be put up. I am a firm believer in anonymous voting. LJ will not allow a poll that no one can see the individual results for. I will be able to see them, which will allow me to count votes, since I *also* cannot see the numbers once a poll gets to a certain number - they go off the edge of this layout. I am not a community mod, so I can't change the layout. If you are concerned that I will manipulate the results behind the scenes, where you cannot see them, I will point out that if the layout of this community was changed, everyone would be able to view the total votes for each nominee in the poll - however no one but me will be able to see who voted for what (again, webfiction is a small community, and in this poll you cannot vote for all your friends - I think there will a much smaller possibility of hurt feelings here). I will take votes by email, because the requirement that voters provide real names makes people uncomfortable. Right now I am using a personal account - I would prefer that an account be set up for the awards in general, and that all volunteers for the awards have the password.</b>
Also edited to clarify that yes, the top 14 will go into a second round of voting. Sorry, I mistyped in my earlier poll.
Additionally, I have added an email address for which people from outside LJ can contact me and vote (JUST for this category!). You will be asked to provide a nickname or real name when you do so.
Sorry for the confusion - clearly I am not good at polls at all.
Edited on 2/8/2011 to post totals from comments and emails.
Edited again on 2/23/2011 to add one more vote by email, and subtract one vote which was against the rules.